The Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR) is an independent National Human Rights Institution created by Article 59 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 and established by the Government of Kenya through an Act of Parliament (the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights Act, 2011) and under the United Nations Paris Principles.
KNCHR’s mandate includes furthering the protection and promotion of human rights in Kenya, acting as a watchdog over the Government in the area of human rights, and the provision of leadership in moving the country towards a human rights state.
KNCHR fulfills its human rights mandate through a number of programs, including Research and Compliance, Public Education and Training, Complaints and Investigations, Redress, Reforms and Accountability and Economic, Social and Cultural Rights and departments: Human Resource and Administration, Finance, ICT, Public Affairs and Communication, Monitoring and Evaluation and Procurement.
The Commission’s main office is in Nairobi and with four regional offices in Wajir, Kitale, Mombasa and Kisumu.
The KNCHR invites applications from young, versatile, industrious, honest, self-driven, analytical, open-minded, readily available candidates to urgently fill the intern positions in various departments:-
- Human Resource and Administration (1),
- Finance (1),
- Research and Compliance (1),
- Reforms and Accountability (1)
- Monitoring and Evaluation (1),
- Public Affairs and Communication
- Public Affairs and Communication (1),
- Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (1),
- Complaints and Investigations (1),
- ICT (1),
- Internal Audit (1) and
- Procurement (1)
Position: Interns for various programmes
Duration: 12 months
Duty Station: Nairobi.
- To work closely with programme heads/Departmental heads and staff in order to learn from the work of the Commission in various departments
- Assist in programme/Workplan implementation and assist in running and maintaining various programmes in KNCHR,
- Any other task that may be assigned by the Programme Officers.
Key Qualifications and Competencies
- Holder of an undergraduate degree in a relevant field (as per departments above) from a recognized institution
- Excellent IT skills, with working knowledge of the various packages.
- Must be able to work effectively and independently with minimum supervision.
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills.
- Proven research, writing and communication capability
- Demonstrable commitment to social justice.
- Fluency in spoken and written English and Swahili.
If you possess the above qualities, please send your application clearly indicating the specific department on the subject matter of your cover letter, together with a detailed C.V, names and telephone contacts of three referees, to reach us by 16th of March, 2016 to:
The Commission Secretary,
Kenya National Commission on Human Rights
Lenana Road, CVS Plaza, 1st Floor
P. O. Box 74359-00200
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted